Client was bought out, and the purchasing company, very large corporation, has their own ‘IT specialists’ that they outsource (of course).
It took them 3 weeks to ignore and not see all of the emails I sent them with necessary credentials for the email migration (i.e., in 3 weeks they have done nothing, while claiming they were having problems – server logs are a bitch)
Then, when they asked credentials questions, I knew they never even tried to log in in 3 weeks.
So, they start the migration. To office 365, of course. I tell them to use my imapSync perl script. They decide to use ‘top notch Microsoft gui tech’.
They ran 4 mailboxes simultaneously, melted down CPU utilization of the server, overheated it, it shut down, and froze all operations. Also pretty much what I told them NOT to do – and the thing I asked them to do, to tell me when they will start this migration, they didn’t do. Of course.
Same guys that managed to configure 3 of the accounting PCs, and wipe them clean – and then didn’t know what to do about a backup (when I wrote them, also weeks ago, to let them know where on the networked drive all the PC backups reside). It’s been 3 days now, and they still haven’t restored any data.
Morons. Corporate. Par for the course.